Special guest from Dublin: Catherine Brophy
The April 2016 edition of Meeet & Tell featured a special guest from Ireland, Catherine Brophy. Catherine is also our April storyteller champ with her story “He’s Behind You”. You can see her tell the story from Dublin in the video above. Below is a guest blogpost from Catherine about her storytelling evening in Berlin.
THE HIGHLIGHT OF BERLIN
By Catherine Brophy
The moment we emerged from the Underground at Schwartzkopffstrasse lightning cracked open the sky. Thunder crashed so loud that we could feel it in our bones. Rain slashed our heads.
Could this be an omen? Absolutely.
An omen of doom? No way!
We’re Irish. We never get thunder and lightning. So we think it’s great entertainment. And yes it’s an omen… an omen of good things to come.
We sheltered in a porch and watched the display and, when the rain eased and the clouds parted we hurried along to Chausseestrasse 86 to MEET AND TELL Berlin’s bilingual storytelling event.
This is where people tell stories about events in their own lives. Some are in German and members translate for the English speakers. No translators were needed for the stories in English because Germans speak fabulous English.
- A man meets a musician and his dog… and gives them a bed for the night.
- The musician, yes that musician, tells his side of the story, sings songs and plays the flute.
- A girl and her mother skip through puddles in Alexanderplatz, their hair tied in bunches like palm trees.
- A man dressed as a pirate for a fancy dress party finds himself at a bodybuilding competition… and wins!
- Aunt Jen in her 3 inch heels and cloud of white hair turns a little girl’s pillow from the hot nightmare side to the cool side of beautiful dreams.
- A woman witnesses a Tibetan monk protest the Chinese presence by burning himself to death.
- A man recounts his final date with a girlfriend.
- A woman discovers her mother’s good qualities.
- A child goes to the theatre for the very first time.
Funny, sad, touching and thrilling we listened to stories, drank wine, ate pretzels and made friends. We can’t wait to get back.
The next TRUE STORIES. TOLD LIVE. Berlin Style is on May 20th. Further information here.
Tags: Storytelling Berlin, Catherine Brophy, Storytelling Berlin: TRUE STORIES. TOLD LIVE. Berlin Style.